Matomo vs Chew
Chew is a Matomo alternative that makes analytics fun
Matomo (previously Piwik) is a self- (and cloud-) hosted analytics platform that advertises 100% data ownership and user privacy protection. It bills itself as an open-source alternative to Google Analytics, while also being highly extensible.
- Chew may not be for you if:
- you need funnel visualizations, heatmaps, multi-channel conversion, &c
- you prefer an in-house analytics solution
- you like the possibility of adding more features to your analytics solution via plugins
- you require SAML support
- Chew may be for you if:
- you do not want to bother with maintenance of yet another server
- you cannot be bothered with setting up auto-archiving cron jobs for reports
- you want a cleaner, modern interface
- you want analytics you can count on
If you are happy with what Matomo provides, that is perfectly fine. Chew is not designed to be THE analytics solution for all people, only an alternative. However…
Due to the greed and relative sleaziness of the advertising industry, many people use ad blockers on their desktop computers and mobile devices. Campaigns around "acceptable ads" tried to curb widespread usage of uncompromising ad blockers with dubious, if not limited, success. Script-based tracking scripts are no longer reliable because they are no longer trusted.
Chew works by integrating with the back-end/server-side code of your Express-based web app and sends relevant data from the request object back to your account on Chew. No more missing data points due to a blocked tracking script! We also respect Do Not Track (DNT). When a visitor has DNT enabled, all you will see in your reports is that someone has accessed your site. No more, no less.
Want analytics you can count on?